Since 2005, EAO has been the sponsor of the "Courage for Sustainability" initiative, which, together with the Forum for Responsibility Foundation and the ASKO Europa-Stiftung, has been educating civil society about the opportunities of sustainable development through a long-term educational project. As a result, all employees have been familiar with the subject matter for years - also through internal training - and are implementing it jointly in numerous educational programs. The commitment of the Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen to the educational initiative and its educational focus on sustainable development consequently led to the company's own environmental management and environmental performance.
Certification according to the Eco-Management Audit Scheme (EMAS) of the European Union was therefore initiated and rapidly advanced. On 14 September 2013, the time had come: Anke Rehlinger, Saarland's Minister for Environmental and Consumer Protection, presented the certificate in front of invited guests.
This was preceded by a process of several months of critical stocktaking, target setting and the dynamic start of an environmentally friendly transformation process with numerous smaller and larger change steps in the academy.
With the presentation of the EMAS certificate, the Europäische Akademie also became a participant in the Saar Environmental Pact.
The EAO has defined its environmental policy in the form of environmental guidelines by the management:
- The EAO is committed to complying with all legal regulations that apply to it and to continuously improving its environmental performance.
- The educational contents developed by us also create systemic awareness, which is disseminated by multipliers.
- Our employees are the foundation of our success. We want to make even greater use of their commitment and competence to improve our environmental performance.
- The academy has defined sustainability as a core topic in its own statutes. Together with our partners, we disseminate the ideas of sustainable development to the public and transport the topic to Europe and internationally.
- We integrate our suppliers and customers into our EMAS process.
- We increasingly orientate our procurement towards sustainable aspects. This applies to energy as well as food and office supplies, operating and cleaning materials.
- We make our consumption of resources efficient and transparent. We also maintain a continuous and targeted dialogue with our customers.
The Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen is a partner in the "Destination Certification: Sustainable Travel Destination 2022-2024".
As a partner company of the Sustainable Travel Destination certification, the academy sees sustainability as an important part of our work. It ensures that the three dimensions of ecological, economic and socio-cultural sustainability are continuously strengthened in our operational business, contributing to the awarding of the "Sustainable Destination" certificate.