Termin: 16.08. - 27.08.2017
European Summer Course 2017:
A Continent in Troubled Times – EU's Perspectives in a Changing World
Veranstaltungsort: Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen
Zielgruppe: Young, active and open-minded people (esp. students / young professionals) from all fields of studies and from all over the world, who have a strong interest in the European Union and its current challenges, are invited.
Kooperationspartner: Europa-Institut, Saarland University, Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), ASKO EUROPA-STIFTUNG, Centre international de formation européenne (Cife)
Supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), using funds from the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Facing the rise of populist parties in many member states, crises in its unstable neighbourhood or the British Brexit-vote – The European Union is under pressure in 2017 also!
“A Continent in Troubled Times – EU's Perspectives in a Changing World” deals with fundamental aspects of European integration and discusses important policy fields and current developments in the European Union.
We invite all participants to attend an academically demanding and wide-ranging programme. Explore with us the European capitals and experience the inspiring atmosphere of an international seminar.
Take this opportunity and apply for the European Summer Course 2017!
- Milestones of European integration
- Institutional set-up and decision-making in the EU
- Human rights protection in Europe
- We can (or can’t) do it – The EU on the way to a common European asylum policy?
- Brexit, populism … - De-integration or more Europe as answer to the current crisis of European integration
- How to create prosperity, stability and security in a crisis-ridden neighbourhood? Chances and limits of EU’s enlargement and neighbourhood policy
- The EU as a trade power
After the crisis is before the crisis? The Economic and Monetary Union in 2017
Field trips: The programme includes visits to
- Brussels: European Parliament, European Commission
- Strasbourg: Council of Europe
- Saarbrücken: Saarland University
The participants also discover historically important sites and enjoy their free time in the centres of the respective cities.
Lecturers: You will meet renowned international experts in European law, politics and economics. The lecturers not only work in the academia but also come from practice and will give you an insight view of the European Union.
Working language: English (good knowledge required)
Participation fee and services:
It includes programme fee, field trips (to Brussels, Strasbourg, Saarbrücken), board (all meals) and lodging (accommodation in twin rooms at the European Academy of Otzenhausen; single rooms are possible (single room supplement: 24 €/night)). It does not cover travel expenses to/from Otzenhausen.
Under certain conditions, a scholarship for travel and seminar costs may be provided. For further information please contact Mr Philipp Schwarz, Europa-Institut, Saarland University (see below).
* The seminar fee is split in accordance with funding guideline as follows: 2/3 covers the seminar costs, 1/3 covers the institutional costs.
Application and information:
If you want to take part in the European Summer Course 2017, please send the following documents:
- completely filled application form
- letter of motivation (at least one page)
- detailed CV (max. 3 pages)
- diploma/transcript of records (only university diploma)
- certificate of language skills
In the case you apply for a scholarship, please state your reasons in the letter of motivation.
Application deadline: 1 May 2017 at the latest.
Application and scholarship:
Europa-Institut, Sek. ReWi, Saarland University
P.O. Box 15 11 50
66041 Saarbrücken / Germany
Phone: 0049 681 302-6624 Ɩ Fax: 0049 681 302-6640
Venue and organisation:
Dr. Elisabeth Schmitt
Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen gGmbH
66620 Nonnweiler / Germany
Phone: 0049 6872 662-441 Ɩ Fax: 0049 6873 662-350
>> Application Form